Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Husband is sick today...

So not sure if my husband will be cooking today since he's a little under the weather. We shall see!

My Breakfast: Organic nonfat plan yogurt, muesli, frozen blueberries, coffee
Kids Breakfast: Smoothie

My Snack: natural turkey salami, almonds
Kids: natural turkey salami, whole grain goldfish (darn leftovers from soccer! Kids have been asking for them all day!)

Kids Lunch: OK I swear the last of the lasagna! My husband is sick today and didn't cook a lunch meal so last leftovers it was.
My Lunch: I had a protein drink with almond milk and a piece of Ezekiel bread with natural sugar free jelly.

My husband made protein bars but they didn't come out very well. We didn't have dark chocolate pieces as it called for so he used cocoa powder and it made them too dry. Next time we're out of chocolate I'd use frozen blueberries. Oh well hopefully I can freeze them in a couple bags and I'll eat them randomly as small snacks.

OK so Alex liked the protein bars. I told them they had chocolate and he liked it. Josi, not so much. She actually gagged. HAHA. She's my picky one! So they snacked on that and a banana and some other random stuff. Alex had a protein oatmeal pancake. It was a hectic night.

I snacked on some apple crisp I made. It was SO good. I had a huge bag of apples that I had to use so I made this recipe. I doubled it and froze half.

CLEAN APPLE CRISP
Apple Mix:
5 or 6 medium apples peeled and cut in small pieces
1/4 - 1/3 cup Agave Nectar
1/4 cup Brown rice flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
2 packets Stevia - plant based sweetener
Dash sea salt
Topping:
1/3 - 1/2 cup Coconut oil/butter
1/4 cup Evaporated cane juice
1/2 cup Brown rice flour
1 cup oats
1/4 cup Sucanat
2 Tablespoons cinnamon

Peel, core, and cut apples. Place in large mixing bowl. Add all other ingredients to the apple mix and stir completely. The mix is most sweet if refrigerated over night.
Make the topping just prior to baking. (If freezing for later use, add the topping before freezing.)

Topping: Place coconut oil/butter in mixing bowl. It should be in solid form, so if it is an oil, refrigerate to solidify first. Add cane juice, cinnamon, sucanat, and brown rice flour to the butter. Mix with handheld mixer until it is homogenous and sandy in texture. Finally, add the oats and stir well.

Place apple mix in baking dish and add topping. Bake at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for approximately 35 minutes. When topping starts to brown and juice from apples starts to bubble, the crisp is done. Let cool slightly, and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment