I've been really tired this week and can't wait to get back to the gym next week. The kids have been sick and I think I have their little bug too. I'm ready for everyone to be well again!
Breakfast (me): Protein powder with almond milk, fat free organic plain yogurt, ezekiel cereal, frozen blueberries, coffee
Breakfast (kids): Smoothie with banana, yogurt, strawberries, almond milk and spinach, ezekiel toast with natural cream cheese
On the menu for lunch today is Lasagna Roll Ups that my husband is making. Another meal I think the kids are going to love! Josi is my picky eater so anytime veggies are chopped very small and put into a sauce or mixed in with something she loves like chicken, she'll eat them well. Alex is my great eater and will eat his veggies sometimes before anything else on his plate, especially broccoli!
My Snack: Clean Chicken Enchilada from yesterday
Kids Snack: Alex is in preschool today so I'm not sure what he's having. I need to pick up their snack calender so I can have an idea of what he eats at school. Josi is snacking on some hummus and veggies with Big Alex.
Lunch: The Lasagna Roll Ups weren't ready yet so we all ate plain non fat organic yogurt with muesli and frozen blueberries. Big Alex was cooking in the kitchen and I was working, so little Alex fed Josi the yogurt. It was just too cute.
Dinner for All: Lasagna Roll Ups...Josi LOVED these. Alex liked it but had a friend over so was not eating much. They were pretty good but I'm not a huge fan of ricotta cheese so I might substitute something else next time. But great family meal and we doubled the recipe so we could freeze half for another time.
Kids Snack: Banana, pear
My Snack: Beanitos...these are great chips that are 100% black beans and a healthy oil
Lasagna Roll Ups
• 1 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
• 1 small onion, finely chopped
• 1 clove garlic, minced
• 1 lb ground turkey breast
• 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
• 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
• 1 28-oz can whole tomatoes in juice
• 1 tsp salt
• 8 sheets dried high-protein or whole-wheat lasagna
• 1 10-oz box frozen chopped spinach, thawed
• 1 15-oz container non-fat ricotta cheese
• 1 egg
• 3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
1. In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook another minute. Turn heat to medium-high and add ground turkey, breaking it up with a spatula until meat shows no sign of pink. Stir in cinnamon and nutmeg, then add tomatoes and salt. Reduce heat to medium-low, stir, cover and let simmer for 20 minutes, occasionally stirring and breaking up tomatoes with a wooden spoon.
2. Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to boil. Cook pasta according to package directions, drain, rinse and allow to cool in a colander.
3. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Squeeze all remaining moisture from thawed spinach and place in large bowl. Add ricotta cheese, egg and a 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese to bowl. Stir until combined.
4. Spread 1 cup of cooked tomato sauce into bottom of a 9" x 10" casserole dish. Lay a cooked lasagna noodle flat in front of you. Use your fingers to spread 1/8 of ricotta mixture across the noodle and roll it up. Place the rolled pasta seam side down, into the casserole dish. Repeat with remaining noodles. Spread remaining tomato sauce over roll-ups, then top with remaining 1/2 cup mozzarella.
5. Bake, covered with foil, for 20 minutes. Remove foil and broil for 5 minutes or until the rollups are browned and bubbly.
NUTRIENTS PER SERVING:
• Calories: 234
• Total Fat: 3 g
• Sat. Fat: 0 g
• Carbs: 27 g
• Fiber: 5 g
• Sugars: 7 g
• Protein: 28 g
• Sodium: 508 mg
• Cholesterol: 76 mg